A MODERN TAKE ON THE CLASSIC L88
The L88 427 was the ultimate expression of Chevy’s production Big-Block power, combining a rigid iron cylinder block with lightweight aluminum cylinder heads and a single, four-barrel carburetor. Our engineers have recreated that classic, raspy rat engine, but with updated components that enhance drivability – and performance!
Our engine assembly features the latest-generation block casting with four-bolt main caps, an all-forged rotating assembly for exceptional strength and durability, and a hydraulic roller camshaft instead of the original L88’s flattappet cam, for greater drivability and a broader performance range. It also features aluminum oval-port cylinder heads with 2.19/1.88-inch valves and a pump-gas-friendly 10.0:1 compression ratio.
Whether you’re building a ’69 COPO Camaro resto-mod tribute, a modified mid-year Corvette or a street-tire class winner, this heritage-inspired crate engine delivers the performance that built the Big-Block’s legendary reputation.
Part Number: 19166393
Engine Type: Chevy Big-Block V-8
Displacement (cu in): 427
Bore x Stroke (in): 4.250 x 3.750
Block (P/N 19170538): Cast-iron with 4-bolt main caps
Crankshaft (P/N 19171620): Forged steel
Connecting Rods (P/N 19211226): Forged steel
Pistons (P/N 19171618): Forged aluminum
Camshaft Type (P/N 12366543): Hydraulic roller
Valve Lift (in): .527 intake / .544 exhaust
Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 224° intake / 234° exhaust
Cylinder Heads (P/N 19331423): Aluminum oval port, 110cc chambers
Valve Size (in): 2.190 intake / 1.880 exhaust
Compression Ratio: 10.1:1
Rocker Arms (P/N 19210726): Aluminum roller style
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
Distributor (P/N 88961867): HEI type
Carburetor (P/N 19170093): 770-cfm
Water Pump (P/N 19168602): Aluminum short-style
Spark Plugs and Wires: Included
Flexplate (P/N 12561217): 14"
Recommended Fuel: Premium pump
Ignition Timing: 36° Total at 4,000 rpm
Maximum Recommended rpm: 6,400
Intake Manifold (P/N 12363406): Dual Plane
• Due to crate fitment, the carburetor is shipped in a separate box and needs to be installed by an engine installer
• Requires addition of starter and fuel pump (not included)
• Clutch linkage bosses are drilled and tapped. When using cast-iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads, for clearance
• Comes with an internally balanced 14" automatic transmission flexplate. Requires flywheel designed for internally balanced engines.
• Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
• Not intended for marine applications
NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long-blocks and Partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur.